1. What was the Siete Partidas? Where and when was it composed? How did these laws reflect elements of Spanish slavery that today seem very distinct from North American slavery? (see web article on Siete Partidas)
2. Based on the chapter from Herbert Klein comparing how slavery was legally codified in Virginia versus Cuba on electronic reserve, please characterize how slave law was created in Virginia. (Who composed it, when, was there any precedent in England, was there any involvement of the British state or church?)
3. What kind of rights did Virginia law deny to slaves and in many cases free persons of color as well? How did these laws reflect the major concerns of the lawmakers?
4. How did the formation of slave legislation in Cuba differ from the Virginia case? What kinds of rights were granted to slaves in Cuba (and the other Spanish colonies)? What kinds of rights did free people of color have? How did these laws reflect the major concerns of the lawmakers?
5. How does Landers’s evidence support Klein's thesis re Spanish slavery?
6. How does de la Fuente’s evidence support Klein's thesis re Spanish slavery?