1. What were maroon communities, when did they develop, and where, specifically, were they located?
2. Which Maroon communities signed treaties with European states and what were the rights and responsibilities that were typically outlined in these agreements?
3. In some ways Maroon communities were an enormous challenge to the system of slavery. Explain.
4. In some ways Maroon communities did not pose a challenge to the system of slavery. Explain.
5. How does the history of Maroons complicate our understanding of the allegiances and political strategies of the African diaspora in the Atlantic world?