GEHI 114 World History to 1500 Chapter 1 Study Guide
1) Roughly, what are the time periods and areas of the globe associated with
a) human evolution (when & where)
b) pre-literate cultures (when & where)
c) the first civilizations (when & where)
2) What is the genus and species of our race?
3) What was the Agricultural Revolution? Why was it so fundamental to human history?
4) Describe the social and economic organization along with any other characteristics associated with preliterate cultures (at least 5):
5) Describe the social and economic organization along with any other characteristics associated with early civilizations (at least 5):
6) Who is considered to be the first ruler to assemble a written code of law and approximately when and where did he rule? What were some of the characteristics of this legal code? How were these laws made known?
7) What is considered to be the worlds first example of literature (what is the title)? When, where, and how was it written?
8) Name three Egyptian pharaohs and accomplishments associated with them:
9) The Hebrews were a relatively weak and poor nation compared to the other ancient cultures outlined in Chapter 1, what were their major historical contributions?
10) Where was ancient Nubia located and what were some of its major cities?