Study Guide for Chapter 5 "The Eastern Half of Christendom and the Byzantine Empire" and the web readings on the Byzantines, the Roma, and the Russian sefts (summarized in the ROMA & SERFS).
1. Who was the founder of the Byzantine Empire, when, and where was its capital?
2. What was the religion associated with the Byzantine Empire and how did it
differ from Roman Catholicism?
3. What was the Justinian Code?
4. Describe Constantinople during its golden age.
5. How did the Byzantine Empire affect eastern Europeans and Russians?
6. Who are the Roma people?
7. When were Russias serfs emancipated and by whom?
8. When did the Byzantine Empire end and why?
9. Describe the unique cultural synthesis of the Byzantines and their lines of cultural transmission.