GEHI 112 Study Questions for QUIZ I (Chapters 1-3)
I. Identify the following people and their historical relevance:
Juan Garrido and Juan Gonzales
Cabeza de Vaca and Esteban
Sir Francis Drake
Sir Walter Raleigh
II. Describe the following events and their historical relevance:
The Devastation of the Indies
Founding of St. Augustine and subsequent founding of Fort Mose
King Philip's War
King William's War
Salem Witch Trials
1) When and how were the continents of the Americas initially settled?
2) Some scholars believe that people from Africa, China, and Northern Europe
may have preceded Columbus in the New World. Explain.
3) Where did Columbus land and what were some of Spains early conquests?
4) How did European companies (e.g. the Virginia Company, the Dutch West India
Company) play a role in colonial settlement?
5 ) What was the Virginia colonys primary labor force in the seventeenth
6) How have the findings of the genealogist Paul Heinegg changed our view of
17th century America?
7) How did Bacons Rebellion play a role in Virginias turn to slavery?
8) Describe ways in which religion affected colonial American settlement.
9) What was the Glorious Revolution of 1688?
10) What are some of the traditional explanations for the Salem witch trials of 1692? What is the latest theory?