QUESTIONS FOR WEEK 2: AMERICA, IBERIA, & AFRICA BEFORE THE CONQUEST
Your answers should be as complete and thoughful as possible. You are strongly encouraged to include quotations from the readings (properly cited). Please type your answers and submit them in class.
1.What were the civilizations of Mesoamerica and the Andes like? (How were they organized, what did they produce?)
2. In the context of the Americas, what was distinct about the Aztec and Inca? What did they share with other American cultures?
3. Why does the name Spain (in reference to the 15th century) imply "a non-existant unity."
4. How did the conquest of southern Iberia by North African Muslims from 711-1492 affect Iberian culture?
5. How did the Reconquest help to shape a new "mentality" for Iberians?
6. How does the description of Africans in Iberia differ in Burholder, Gates, and Lander's accounts?
7. How were Iberian societies organized? What did they produce?
8. How were West African societie organized? What did they produce?
9. What was slavery like in West Africa, Spain, and the Americas?
10. True or False: When the Portuguese arrived in West Africa, they overwhelmed the local states with force.