WEEK 6: SLAVERY AND RESISTANCE QUESTIONS
Your answers should be based on the readings and as complete and thoughtful as possible. You are strongly encouraged to include quotations from the readings and to elaborate upon the significance of the topic at hand. Please type your answers and submit them in class.
1. What was the Siete Partidas? Where and when was it composed and what parts of the world did it affect? How did these laws reflect elements of Spanish slavery that today seem very distinct from North American slavery? (see web article on Siete Partidas)
2. Based on the chapter from Herbert Klein comparing how slavery was legally codified in Virginia versus Cuba, please characterize how slave law was created in Virginia. (Who composed it, when, was there any precedent in England, was there any involvement of the British state or church?)
3. What kind of rights did Virginia law deny to slaves and in many cases free persons of color as well? How did these laws reflect the major concerns of the lawmakers?
4. How did the formation of slave legislation in Cuba differ from the Virginia case?
5. What kinds of rights were granted to slaves in Cuba (and the other Spanish colonies)? How did these laws reflect the major concerns of the lawmakers?
6. In short, according to Klein, what was the fundamental difference between the legal regimes regarding slavery in Virginia and Cuba.
7. How does Alejandro de la Fuente characterize the Tannenbaum thesis?
8. How does de la Fuente’s evidence support elements of the Tannenbaum thesis?
9. How does Herrera’s article challenge stereotypes about slavery?
10. How does Feirer explain the "forgetting" of colonial Central America's black past?