WEEK 8: Indepedence
Your answers should be based on the readings and as complete and thoughtful as possible. You are strongly encouraged to include quotations from the readings and to elaborate upon the significance of the topic at hand. Please type your answers and submit them in class.
1. How did the French Revolution, the Napoleonic Wars, and the Haitian Revolution help to instigate the wars of independence in Latin America?
2. What were some of the tensions between Creoles and Peninsulares? What were some of the tensions between the 3/4 to 4/5 of the population who were mixed race and the Creoles?
3. How did Hidagldo, Morelos, and Guerrero plays roles in Mexico' independence?
4. How did the llaneros affect events and Simon Bolivar's strategies in Venezuela?
5. How did liberalism and nativism play important ideological roles in the wars for indepdence in Latin America?
6. In what ways were the notions of social equality and popular sovereignty two separate aims?
7. How did the wars of independence change the lives of Latin Americans?
8 Why did slave populations reduce in places like Venezuela, Peru, Columbia, Chile, Mexico? How did this affect the instituion of slavery in these places?
9. Why did slave populations expand in places like Cuba and Brazil? How did this affect the instituion of slavery in these places?
10. Who were "The Blacks Who Freed Mexico"?