GEHI 114 World History to 1500
Fall 2005 Midterm Review
1) What are the characteristics of civilizations? What came before?
2) What are some of the earliest civilizations?
3) In terms of dates, how do we define the ancient period? The middle ages?
The modern period?
4) What kinds of contributions did ancient Greece make to Western civilization.
5) What kinds of contributions did ancient Rome make to Western civilization.
6) The Han dynasty and the Mauryan dynasty overlap in time with classical Greece
and Rome. How did these dynasties contribute to Eastern civilizations?
7) How did the fall of Rome affect Europe?
8) Compare the Byzantine Empire to Europe during the early middle ages.
9)Who are the following individuals?
Alexander the Great
10) Who were the following groups?
11) With whom do we associate the following religions?
Greek Orthodox Christianity
12) Describe the following institutions:
13) Identify the following:
The Epic of Gilgamesh
The Persian Wars
The Peloponnesian War
The Punic Wars
The Justinian Code
Europes Dark Ages