Study Guide: Islam, Africa, Americas
1) Where, when, and how did Islam begin?
2) How did Islamic civilization impact intellectual history?
3) What were some achievements of Islamic civilization during the Middle Ages?
4) Describe the great West African states of the Middle Ages and their key cities-- what were they known for?
5) What was Great Zimbabwe (where and when did it flourish, who built it)?
6) Describe four examples of African science (e.g. in metallurgy, astronomy, medicine, engineering, mathematics):
7) Name four cultures associated with the great civilizations of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica:
8) What were the two great cities of Mesoamerica and when did they flourish?
9) What was the Olmec civilization and what did they produce?
10) Who were the Inca, where did they live, and what were some of their technological achievements?
11) What are the defining characteristics of civilization?
12) How do we define, temporally, the Middle Ages?
13) Who was Abubakari (where was he from, what did he do in 1311?)
Saudi Arabia (and the city of Mecca)
Iraq (and the city of Baghdad)
Iran (formerly Persia)
Turkey (and the city of Constantinople, now known as Istanbul)
Italy (and the city of Rome)