GEHI 122 US History to 1865 Final Exam STUDY QUESTIONS
1. Who were the first migrants to the Americas? When?
2. Where did Columbus first land?
3. What was the Virginia colonys primary labor force in the 17th century?
4. What were the Salem witch trials? When? How can they be explained?
5. Name and describe four Native American uprisings.
6. Name and describe four slave uprisings.
7. What was the First Great Awakening and how might it have paved the way for
the American Revolution?
8. What were some of the consequences of the Seven Years War?
9. When did the American, French, and Haitian revolutions begin?
10. What was the Age of Revolution?
11. What were some of the causes of the American Revolution?
12. What was Dunmores Proclamation? What was its impact?
13. What was Common Sense? (Who wrote it, when, and what was its impact?)
14. What was the Declaration of Independence? (Who wrote it, when, and what
was its impact?)
15. What was Notes on the State of Virginia? (Who wrote it, when, and
what was its impact?)
16. What was The Narrative of Olaudah Equiano? (Who wrote it, when,
and what was its impact?)
17. Describe some of the fundamental tensions and contradictions in the US
after the American Revolution.
18. What was Shays Rebellion?
19. What was the Whiskey Rebellion?
20. What were some of the causes of the War of 1812?
21. What were some of the consequences of the War of 1812?
22. What was Indian Removal?
23. What were the Seminole Wars?
24. What was the Trail of Tears?
25. What was the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo?
26. What was the American Colonization society?
27. What was the Amistad case and what was its larger historical significance?
28. What did universal male suffrage mean in America in the first half of the 19th century?
Identify the following and their larger historical significance:
30. Fort Mose
31. Paul Heinegg
32. Monroe Doctrine
33. Missouri Compromise
34. Compromise of 1850
35. Fugitive Slave Law
36. Dred Scott Case
38. Noah Webster
39. Alien and Sedition Acts
40. 1790 Naturalization Law