HIST 564 Week 7
1. How does Barkley Browns analysis illuminate and challenge the assumptions
of nineteenth century liberalism and political economy?
2. How does Hunters analysis of how black working-class women defined
and experienced freedom after the Civil War compare to the vision of freedom
described by Barkley Brown?
3. In Hunters analysis, how does the color line give way
to the color wall?
4. According to Blight, what political purpose did the reconciliationist
view of the Civil War serve?
5. What is the distinctive epistemology and philosophical tradition of black
women that Collins identifies?
6. How does each of the authors for this week (including Du Bois and The Propaganda of History) challenge conventional historiography?