HIST 564: Week 9
1. What were the forces, factors, and processes that attended the abolition
of slavery in Cuba?
2. How does Cubas history of abolition compare with that of the US? What
kinds of similarities and differences were there between the ending of slavery
in Cuba and the US?
3. In what ways were the ideologies and dynamics of race in Cuba and the US
similar and different?
4. In what ways were Cuban and US conceptions of nationalism similar and different?
5. How does Ferrers analysis link the history of race with the
history of empire, and how does her analysis resonate with that of Blackburn?
6. What kinds of political and economic conditions did Afro-Cubans face after the end of slavery and how did Afro-Cubans negotiate them?