HIST 564 Week 10 Questions
1. What is the significance of Reeds claim in his review of Worse
Than Slavery: For most of its modern history Mississippi's public
powers of coercion have been directed toward criminalizing the state's black
2. According to Hale, how did conceptions of race change after the Civil War
3. How did the culture of segregation contribute to making whiteness?
4. How did urbanization and the rise of consumer culture contribute to making
5. How does Hales argument resonate with that of David Blight in Race and Reunion?
6. Do you find Hale's analysis compelling?