HIST 564 Week 4
1. Explain and elaborate on Sannehs assertion on page 11, Olaudah
Equiano and Samuel Crowther in their different ways sum up well the theme of
this book by demonstrating the novel concept of recaptive agency in the shift
of the antislavery strategy from Europe and America to Africa.
2. What were the various impacts that America had on Sierra Leone?
3. How is Blackburns central thesis supported and contradicted in Sannehs
4. What are some examples of American efforts to end slavery (or the slave
trade) in the 18th century?
5. How does Sanneh account for the failures of Liberia and successes of Sierra
6. What are the three waves of black settlement in Nova Scotia in the late
18th and early 19th centuries? (see Grant article)